For the love of rap

I didn't always like rap. Until I was about 12, I hated it. I hated it because it seemed to celebrate the really bad parts of humanity. There are songs about robbery, Songs about abusing drugs, songs about taking advantage of women for fuck's sake. I still can't stomach some of the darker songs, but I started to understand the purpose.

Anyone who makes music of any kind is a flawed individual. Whenever there's a "controversy" about a musicians exploits in real life, You shouldn't be surprised and shouldn't fuel the fire. Joe american at 1234 Main street doesn't make music, or shouldn't; because responsibility and moderation isn't interesting.

Despite that, all other form of music, with the exception of just a few artists, Only hints at the artists flaws, only expresses the emotions stemming from their exploits. Rapping is the first time when I heard someone describe the whole picture. Rappers love to be "real". If you spent recreational time with a rapper of quality ilk, You couldn't be surprised by anything they indulged in, because they already told you about it in their songs.

And that's what I've come to love. Whereas other lyricists write vaguely about something that's probably about their heroin addiction but could apply to your break up with your girlfriend, A good emcee doesn't filter himself to make it easier for you to relate to him. Alot of it seems to be written to be above and beyond what you can relate to, to the point when you think "this dude is wild". As a writer or musician, what can be better? There are no limits. There is no filter.

Emceeing is just expressing who you are, what you do and how you feel as honestly as possible. It's music and it's a confessional. And I like how the beats sound.

No comments: