when positive thinking goes wrong

1- Self esteem

The "self esteem movement" started in the late 70's. Born out of assumptions and the likely self-esteem of those who propagated it; it's main tenet is that a positive view of oneself is an important thing to have. My objection to this is simple- If you tell me that you feel good about yourself, it begs the question "Why do you feel good about yourself?". And if you have a good reason, then you ought to just find satisfaction in that reason. Self-esteem is, however, a more limited concept. It need not involve reason at all- just delusion.

What the critics say: "self-esteem: an erroneous appeasement." -Ambrose Bierce.

What I say: Self-awareness is the new self esteem.

2- Optimism

Optimism can be considered seeing the best in things. In people, in circumstance, in events. The problem is, any technical knowledge or intellectualizing immediately murders optimism. In answering the classic question "Is the glass half empty or half full?", more varied answers could be:

-Both.

-It's half full, but could be twice that full.

-It's half empty, but looks tasty!

-Half empty or half full or what? If you mean of fluid, Then I'd have to measure- it's hard to tell with the naked eye. It's very unlikely that it's a half[empty or full] anyhow, it's probably a little off from that mark, depending of course on how you prepared the demonstration.

-I can't be sure, but don't leave it unattended. That's how date rape happens.

-Is there booze in there?

Not to totally mock the idea; these varied answers can also be applied to personal life choices and world events. Optimism is just too simple to be useful.

3- Narcissism

The simplest incarnation is "thinking you're better or more unique than others". I, like all great men, have felt that way about myself before. My beef with narcissism is when that state of mind fails to lead to anything of value; which is true of most narcissists. Feeling that you are better than others, if it leads to you achieving more than others, is righteous. Feeling that you are better than others, if it leads to laying in the cut reminding yourself that you are better than others, is lame.

In the more advanced stages, magical thinking enters the picture to fill in the obvious gaps in logic. When magical thinking enters the picture, you should leave it.

...

Despite all this, I think positively. But in a more realistic and subtle way. I don't pretend that I'm great, my life is great, or that I'm destined for greatness; only by the merit of my existence. Rather, I think positively because it's more likely to get favorable results than thinking negatively.

It's chiefly the most pragmatic approach, and secondarily, a more pleasant way to live.

No comments: