Overwork

I work alot, often more than 40 hours a week. I don't do this out of any kind of personal guilt or religious-based principle. I used to hate being at work and did it as little as possible. At some point, my opinions and lifestyle choices shifted and re-aligned in such a way to send the signal: "WORK!". For these reasons:

1- The male biological clock.

It appears those I meet with a similar disposition are all Men, and are all 21-27. For me it was 22. I can't be sure if it's actually hormonal or a choice based on reason- But you feel as strong as an Ox, sharp as a tack, you have all the disposable time in the world, and you know that won't always be the case. So, "make hay while the sun is shining".

2- Make money.

So your employer is an asshole who doesn't pay you what you deserve? Telling him that won't get you anything. Instead, show up early, leave late, cover shifts, milk the clock, just hang around clocked in whenever no one will stop you. If you get paid overtime, you've given yourself a raise. This method is self-sustaining. The more time spent at work is less time you'll spend money. Ask someone who knows; it adds up.

3- Your brain is an idiot.

Some people are under the impression that your brain knows where you are and what you're doing, keeps track of where you've been and what you were doing, and reminds you of any stress you're having or have had for the rest of your life. Truth is, your deep-brain; that is, the parts that control creativity and love-making, can't tell the difference between 12 hours working and 12 hours watching that season of Venture Brothers(again). The only part that can tell is your consciousness, and you can minimize or eliminate the stress on it but simply spacing out.

4- Your brain is smart.

I may be only speaking for myself here, but I once thought that time spent becoming more competent at work, or a better employee, would somehow cut into my personal development and enrichment. As if learning a restaurant menu would halt that great idea I was just having. Unless you keep the contents of your brain in an overloaded briefcase, there's no truth to that. Your brain wants to and can master multiple tasks, both labor and leisure.

5- For the lulz.

It's often said by mouth-breathers that people wouldn't need to use drugs if they weren't so stressed from making enough money to purchase drugs. Therefore, its best to limit the amount of stress one has, including work, and instead live in a self-important idol haze. Other mouth-breathers counter that "someone needs to do some damn work!". Well, yes, many people are at work right now so you can have leisure time to read this(truckers, electricians, plumbers), but even they might be overworking for the previously mentioned reasons.

6- For the lulz, again.

In theory I could budget the amount of money I make with the amount of food/electricity/shelter I require perfectly, and have tons of time left over to do what I like for it's own sake(as long as it's free). But get real, you know I wouldn't and you know you wouldn't. You would get bored as shit and start pushing your limits. I'd rather work hard and drink harder then sit around thinking about how efficient I am.

No comments: