Liquor: the new water

The one and only time I was intoxicated on Magic Mushrooms, I was simultaneously wondering if I was a dipsomaniac, alcoholic, or just a heavy drinker for drinking more than most people do in my day-to-day life.

Even the reason I used mushrooms was influenced by wondering how being intoxicated on something else that's less addictive would make me feel about Alcohol, knowing that LSD had been used in the past with some success in treating alcoholism.. Mushrooms aren't exactly the same, but I'm not technically an alcoholic, so it was a smallest-effective-dose reasoning.

During the 7 hour trip I wasn't only thinking about that. In fact, I hardly thought of it at all. But I had an introspective stage in the kitchen, craving alcohol and deciding to "ask" my inner self how I felt about it, while simultaneously taking the first shot of the day. The shot went down easy, with no chaser, and I felt exactly the same, physically, and about the issue at hand. "Liquor is water" was my thought.

I know that I got no real answer from that phrase. Rather, I got an answer from the event. The whole thing made me feel silly immediately after the shot. I was asking a drug about another drug. But it didn't know, cause it couldn't. Mushrooms are food in the same way Liquor is water. There's no magic in the mushrooms and there's no demon in the rum.

Remember this: LSD treatments have been more effective than anything else in treating alcoholism. But they haven't been 100% effective. Some of the test subjects assuredly tripped balls, had an introspective moment much like mine that told them "get over yourself, you goof ball" and hit the sauce as soon as they could afterward. Or they possibly couldn't stop even with an LSD trips warning, seeing as how these were confirmed alcoholics and voluntary participants.

Liquor is water. Not literally, but in the sense that it is inert. It has no feelings or intentions. You have them. If you drink a large quanitity of alcohol and do something you regret, you have no business blaming the alcohol anymore than if you had drunk a large quantity of water. Drinker or non-drinker, drug user or not, Your personality is yours, and belongs to no drug use.

No comments: